Thursday, June 06, 2013

Birthday Boy

Hello!

I've got a little card here that I made for the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week AND for my nephew's 14th birthday coming up in June!  The theme for this week's challenge was anything masculine - perfect for this! 

My nephew is quite an incredible artist, he takes my breath away with the things he can create.  So I wanted to make him a card that had a bit of artistic flare.  Got a little messy with this one, but I kind of think it fits the bill.

Have a look:




I just used some water based markers directly on the 1 and the 4 stamps (Paper Smooches, Digits set), flicked a little water on them to get the colours to run into each other, and stamped them onto white card stock.  (I was second guessing throwing the pink/magenta into the mix - his is quite a boys boy. But being an artist, I know he embraces all the colours, so I think he'll be okay with it!).  After I cut the numbers out, I outlined them in a very thin tipped black pen.  I used the same black pen to draw a frame around the card base.  Then I went splatter crazy.  I used the same colours that I used on the 14 diluted in water, and then added a squirt of Ranger Dylusions ink spray in vibrant turquoise and black.  Then I adhered the crimped black banner, and the 14.  Finished it off with the sentiment from Paper smooches.

It was a lot of fun to make this card!  I'm really enjoying trying new techniques!
 

Hope you like it!  And hope to see you again tomorrow!
Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Wow - steady hand...the outlining is perfect! Love your doodled frame too. This really is a funky, artsy card and I'm sure DN is going to be all over your creativity! Best part is that you perfectly tailored your card to what your nephew loves - bravo young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Like Auntie, like nephew" seems to ring clear here! Your description of your nephew and his artistic flair is wonderful; he sounds like quite the delightful, talented and 'embracing of all things artistic' young man. What a treat he must be, as are his sisters. Your card, with your experimenting with mixed media and new techniques is absolutely fantastic - for the challenge and especially in capturing elements you KNOW your nephew will love, love and love! Your nieces and nephew are so lucky to have you as their aunt: one who supports and encourages their creativity by modeling it herself. Super Cool Auntie Shannon - and super cool card! Love it! Happy Birthday to the twins - I bet a special celebration is in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, I absolutely love how you've created the background, your nephew will love it.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment - I appreciate them so much!