Friday, January 03, 2014

Happy New Year! And Two Cards

Hello!

Happy New Year everyone!  Hope you all celebrated exactly how you wanted to!  I spent mine pre-cooking a huge turkey dinner for my husband's family who came over on January 1 for our inaugural "Feast on the First"!  And that wasn't the only first...this was the very first turkey dinner I have ever made.  I'm 41 years old, and yes, it's taken me this long!!  I wouldn't exactly say it turned out perfectly.  I WAY overcooked the turkey, and didn't get rave reviews on my potatoes (although personally I thought they were delicious, but the "traditionalists" didn't love that I added some balsamic vinegar and caramelized red onion to them - they wanted plain (and boring!!), but overall I was pretty happy with the results :) 

Of course, between the shopping, the prep and the dinner itself, it was a three day event.  And my only regret...it cut into my valuable card making time!  Ha ha!  So I had to make up for lost time yesterday.  Came up with two cards:

Card #1:

This one didn't come together as easily as I'd hoped - there was a lot of try this / try that!  It's another mish mash of a lot of different products...I am really enjoying all of my new purchases :)  There's some Lawn Fawn in there, some Janes Doodles, HA and some PS.

And Card #2:

This one was inspired by a card I saw Julie Ebersole done quite some time ago.  It actually inspired the card I made for her while her Mom was going through her cancer treatment (I didn't post it because I took the photo with my camera that is on the blink - I still can not download the photos from it!).  In her most recent video, she accented her card with the latest trend of bunching up a "nest" of twine under her main image.  So I thought I would re-create the card I made for her, and add the nest to this version.  The flower is an old Stampin Up image coloured with Copics, and the Thinking of You is from WPlus9.

Thank you so much for stopping by to see me today!
Shannon

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first turkey! I've been doing them for more than 30 years, and now that my kids are older, it's a joy to hear that no one makes it like mom does! Your cards are simply wonderful. Love the little LF fox on the gingham paper. And the rose card with the twine nest, is perfect. Love how the twine just 'extends' the rose. Love that dp too; soft and subtle -- perfect. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards dear... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cards Shannon!!! Love the details on the flower with the way you colored it. Fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooohhhhhh......aaaaaahhhh....first of all, your LF card, stinkin' adorable. really cute.

    Love how you were inspired by Julie, your card is so pretty with the JD rose! I actually have a card that'll post on Tuesday that is inspired by julie, another gal and uses twine like that. Twine nest, I like that...I think I called mine a lasso...HA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE CHUS UNDERSTAND!!!! No brown potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have you beat! I'm 49 and have never cooked a turkey! haha! I'm going to keep on pretending that I don't know how to for as long as I can :) Congratulations on yours though! And I think the balsamic vinegar and onions sounds wonderful!! The cards are LOVELY!! I adore all the little LF animals and I love that neat border around the first one! The rose one is gorgeous! Love that twine behind it! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely!!! I have heard of Julie Ebersole, though never been to her blog, I got distracted there awhile!

    Love that you were so inspired, it is a great feeling!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed this comment sticks (no email..grrr!), because I LOVE LOVE and LOVE everything about this post! Your first turkey/family dinner is so impressive! I've never cooked a turkey, so huge applause with this accomplishment - and the family meal (despite the 'traditionalists' little issue - I'm sure they still enjoyed the yummy potatoes!) will be followed by more to come! Your cooking sounds too good to miss! We did our 'traditional' family meal in Edmonton - the 'homemade pizza' making and baking - something Andy and I aim to do at least once a year for my family and Tara's parents. More details in a proper note! Your cards, now...ABSOLUTELY stellar in every possible way! Your little critter is adorable beyond words, nestled in the gingham+polka dot background. And the 'sweet' is exactly that; fab font! Card 2 is sheer beauty! You've taken Julie's inspiration, adding your magical Shannon-flair, with results that are plain and simply outstanding! GOR-GEOUS! These are day-brighteners and smile-makers! LOVE them!! Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love visiting your blog and seeing how creative you are with the papers you use and the little embellishments! So inspiring! I LOVE the gingham on card #1 and the doodled border--LOVE!! And the way you shaded the flower on the second card--gives it so much dimension! Thanks for the eye candy! No calories, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few years on you...and I have NEVER done a turkey!! I married a man who loves to do Thanksgiving dinner (the cooking part, not so much on the cleaning)

    I love these cards. You have put together a great combo of stamps on the first. The little fox is just perfect with the "sweet" sentiment - and the papers are just right too! The bold flower on the simple print is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment - I appreciate them so much!