Friday, January 24, 2014

I am loving gold!

Hello!

So, I am loving the gold trend.  You can see it in my jewellery (of the *very* expensive costume type) and now you can see it in my card making.  I am loving my gold distress paint, my gold stickles and I just received some gold embossing powder, which I am in love with as well.  And a big reason for this fairly new found love, is Donna Mikasa.  She uses gold in a way that makes your heart skip a beat.  Did you know that Donna is the muse over at Case Study this month?!  It is an absolute treat to CASE her!  I was so disappointed that I didn't get a chance to play along last week, so this week it was a MUST!  The card for this week is an example of the most amazing - and I mean AMAZING - gold embossing I have ever seen.  Pure perfection.  Blended with yellows and pinks...it's a jaw dropper for sure!

Here's my take on it:


I ended up focussing on the colours more than the design.  I used one of my hearts background stamps from Wplus9, and stamped it continuously in light pink distress ink to create the background.  Then I spritzed it with water to get the distress inks running a bit.  After it was dry, I splattered on some yellow distress ink by smearing some ink on a plastic surface, adding water and then using a paint brush to flick it onto the panel.  It is a darker yellow, and almost looks gold itself, but that's okay.  Then I used my gold distress ink to frame it all up.  The angel is from Mama Elephant - she's coloured in Copics.  I LOVE this stamp set, but I wish it came with a "you are my/an angel" sentiment.  Easy fix though...just brought out my Lawn Fawn Milo's ABCs and created my own!  To finish it up, I created a banner, and smeared more gold distress ink over it, then added the PS "thank you".  I really liked the look of the banner - it actually looks like wood veneer!  Weird, huh?!!

And here's Donna's beauty:

I had originally wanted to make it more bold, just like Donna's card.  And I wanted to use my gold embossing powder to do that.  But, I did not realize just how different my golds were!  Um, VERY!  They don't go together, at all!  So after I used the distress paint to frame the base of the card, I was committed to just that gold.  Bringing in the embossing powder, or the stickles was not going to be an option.  But that's okay, I will save them for another card! 

And that's a wrap for today :)  Thank you so much for dropping by!!   It means a lot to me!!!
Shannon

13 comments:

  1. Sooo cute! The angels from ME are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, thanks for joining us at CASE Study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well girlie....you totally have the Midas touch happening in this sweet creation! Your stamped sentiment is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Good on you for tackling this feat! Fabulous technique and awesome results with your background stamping! You are getting so creative! Beautifully shaded little angel too.

    (BTW, I thought the banner was wood veneer....see what I mean about your creativity? Endless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO sweet!!! Ooooozes gold sweetness. Such a sweet angel, and lovely backgrouns you did so MMMAHHHH velously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwww....soooo sweet! I'm with you on the love of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww.. girl!! Me too I love gold! This card is so Pretty with that angel image from ME. Oh so sweet the gorgeous background too :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for jumping on the gold bandwagon! LOL! You are too cute! And you're right about the different "shades" of gold. There's brilliant, Egyptian, brassy, and sometimes they clash. But I love your card and your take on my card! It's sweet and it's just your style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, you've got it goin' on, Shannon! What a wonderful use of gold, and what a darling card. Love this!!!! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! I love how you focused on the colors, the subtle heart bg and that adorable image take center stage. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're just back from our most wonderful trip (LOVE those kidlets!!), and seeing your sweet card is the perfect prescription for boosting my spirits! I'm with Geri: Midas touch happening here with your amazing background technique (I'm light years away from even attempting such a feat!). You've worked magic with the gold! And the angel...sooooo sweet, especially holding the signature-Shannon heart (I need to get some ME...and LF...and RC...). Stunning, my dear friend, absolutely stunning!! LOVE x LOVE this!! Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  11. That angel is adorable. Love all the gold - and that fab background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colours of your card and yes gold is fabulous! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment - I appreciate them so much!